Recipe of the WeekScrunch top steak pie CC 14
- Main Meal
- Low Cost
- Quick Meal
Per Serving, serves 4
FG 2 CC 8
Highland Game and Scottish Slimmers bring these moussaka aubergines
- 4 small aubergines
- spray rapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried or fresh mint
- 450g Scottish Slimmers venison meatballs, grillsteaks or burgers
- 50ml red wine
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 75ml 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 75g Feta cheese
- Green salad, to serve
- Heat 2-3 sprays of oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the onion then the garlic, cinnamon, oregano and mint and fry gently for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash the aubergines, pierce once with a sharp knife and microwave (two at a time) on HIGH for about 7 minutes. Remove from microwave and slice in half lengthways through the stalks. Carefully scoop most of the flesh out of the aubergine halves, leaving a layer of flesh (about 1cm thick) attached to the skins and set aside on a baking tray. Chop up the flesh and add to the onions.
- Meanwhile, break up the venison in a bowl using your hands or a wooden spoon then add to the onion and aubergine mix and fry for 3–4 minutes, pressing the meat to break it up even more, until all the meat is lightly browned. Stir in the red wine and tomatoes and simmer, half-covered for 30 minutes until well-reduced and thick. Spoon the mixture evenly into each aubergine “boat”.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
- Whisk the egg with the Greek yogurt and crumble in the feta and spoon on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the topping is set and browned. Serve with a crunchy green salad.