Recipe of the WeekMacaroons FG 3 / CC 3
- Main Meal
- Low Cost
- Low Check
- No Check
- Quick Meal
Per Serving, serves 10
FG 9 CC 9
Our festive favourite pudding
- 175g breadcrumbs
- 225g raisins
- 100g each of sultanas, currants and mixed peel
- 60g soft dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp each of cinnamon, mixed spice and ground nutmeg
- 85g each of grated apple and finely grated carrot
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs whites, lightly beaten
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 small wineglass port or brown ale
- 1 tbsp treacle
- Mix together breadcrumbs, dried fruit, sugar and spices. Add apple, carrot and lemon rind. Stir well.
- Add egg whites, orange juice, port or brown ale and treacle. Stir thoroughly ensuring all ingredients are evenly distrusted – and don’t forget to make a wish!
- Turn mixture into a 1 ¼ litre / 2-pint pudding basin, cover tightly and steam for 4 ½ hours.
- Alternatively, divide mixture between 10 individual cups or ramekins, cover and steam 2-4 together about 45 – 60 minutes. Or, microwave individual portions on high approx. 1-2 minutes.