Recipe of the WeekScrunch top steak pie CC 14
- Main Meal
- Low Cost
- Quick Meal
Per Serving, serves 2
Thai Crab Cakes with Dipping Sauce
FG 1 CC 6
These are a lighter take on the traditional fish cake using flavour-packed crab meat which is perfectly complemented with fresh and vibrant Thai spices and a sharp dipping sauce. Sensational as a starter and four cakes will only cost you 6 Checks!
- 300g/10oz fresh crab meat
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Large handful fresh coriander
- 2 tsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tbsp low-calorie mayonnaise
- Flour for dusting
- Spray oil
- For the Dipping sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 rounded tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 small red chilli, chopped
- ½ lime juice only
- Put the crab meat, chilli, spring onions, garlic, coriander, Thai fish sauce and mayonnaise in a blender or food processor and blitz until you have a thick sludge.
- Divide the mixture into 8 portions and shape with your hands into little patties. Dust very lightly with flour.
- Spray a frying pan lightly with spray oil and place over a medium to high heat. When the pan is really hot, add the crab cakes and cook them for about 2-3 minutes each side, until golden brown. Be careful when you turn them over – make sure you use a spatula and do it very gently so as to keep their shape.
- You can make the dipping sauce in advance, if wished. Just heat the rice vinegar and sugar in a small pan, stirring until dissolved. When it becomes syrupy, add the soy sauce, chilli and lime juice. Leave to cool.
- Serve the crab cakes hot from the pan with the dipping sauce.