Why Are There Some Posts Without Names?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Web Monkey_*

Guest_Web Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

When we moved the data from the old forum to this we had to allow for a couple of changes in the way they worked, amongst them the reason behind the "nameless" posts;The old forum would allow multiple accounts to be created from the same email address, the new one doesn't. As part of the migration we had to keep the original account and remove any additional ones, as a result some posts don't have author information in them since the user account that created them is gone.By allowing this (rather than removing them) we were able to maximise the number of posts we could transfer, which we felt was more important than this cosmetic impurity. It shouldn't affect operation of the forum, it just looks a little strange is all.Update:I'm starting to see a couple of patterns in the accounts that didn't transfer correctly and have identified 2 potential reasons (so far) than could have caused this;
  • No email account - the new forum won't let you have an account without an email address. We had to contact some people on the old forum for email addresses but those were never entered in their "old" profile.
  • Symbols in user names - again a difference of opinion between old and new, the new forum won't allow usernames to contain anything other than letters and numbers.
The good news is we can manually transfer those accounts (with slight changes) so if your account isn't here, and you expected it to be, get in touch with Your Hostess and we'll get it sorted asap.

#2 GinFizz

GinFizz

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,544 posts
  • Interests:In my spare time I enjoy counting checks and eating delicious fat-free soups ;)

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

When we moved the data from the old forum to this we had to allow for a couple of changes in the way they worked, amongst them the reason behind the "nameless" posts;The old forum would allow multiple accounts to be created from the same email address, the new one doesn't. As part of the migration we had to keep the original account and remove any additional ones, as a result some posts don't have author information in them since the user account that created them is gone.By allowing this (rather than removing them) we were able to maximise the number of posts we could transfer, which we felt was more important than this cosmetic impurity. It shouldn't affect operation of the forum, it just looks a little strange is all.

Haha, that's really funny - now we'll know all the multiple personalities on site!!!! :whistle:

#3 Elspeth

Elspeth

Purely Positive

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Interests:Not a lot. PC, reading, this forum, family

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

mmmmm guess I must be a multiple user, but I did ask if it was OK and was assured it was.

#4 Gingerish

Gingerish

Positive Plus

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:39 PM

:butterfly: I am finding it hard to use the new site. Also, I was surprized to find out that my password had been changed. I expect it will all be sorted soon. Love Gingerish x

#5 Nana Moon

Nana Moon

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

I'm one of them as I did change briefly to ringo but also I think my Nana Moon user name format also caused problems and wouldn't migrate easily - we'll get them back eventually

#6 Lynn

Lynn

Positive Plus

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy exercising spending time with my children Liam 10 and Cara 3.

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

I didnt have an email on my account, but I emailed it to the hostess before we switched - wonder if thats how I had to create a new account.

#7 Jean.c

Jean.c

Positively Perfect

• Online Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,557 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:31 AM

I didnt have an email on my account, but I emailed it to the hostess before we switched - wonder if thats how I had to create a new account.

Me too! But ive been here for ever,always had the same name...mine cause problems because theres a . in my name :wacko: I hope to get all my posts back one day :unsure:

#8 wee-g

wee-g

Positive Plus

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

Me too! But ive been here for ever,always had the same name...mine cause problems because theres a . in my name :wacko: I hope to get all my posts back one day :unsure:

my user name caused problems because i had an underscore, but the hostess kindly created my groovy new account with a hyphon instead :afro:

Edited by wee-g, 09 February 2008 - 12:07 AM.

#9 Jean.c

Jean.c

Positively Perfect

• Online Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,557 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

Are we still going to get our old posts back,Now the new updated site is up and running?

#10 elibob

elibob

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,072 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:33 AM

I very much doubt it Jean..... :confused: I would love to have the post back that announced me getting to target :confused: and also the old 'blown it' post and the old pledge page but they had already gone before change over...so lost in cyber space for ever me thinks :confused:

#11 Jean.c

Jean.c

Positively Perfect

• Online Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,557 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

All the girls that had trouble "coming over" were told they would get their old posts back.

#12 Guest_Web Monkey_*

Guest_Web Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

Are we still going to get our old posts back,Now the new updated site is up and running?

It may look that way to you, but believe me it doesn't look that way from this end :confused: Related Post

All the girls that had trouble "coming over" were told they would get their old posts back.

That's also on the list, but since the posts are available and it's only a cosmetic thing (albeit time consuming) involving linking their names to them it's also been deemed low priority at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users