4 replies to this topic

#1 jacdav

jacdav

Positive Plus

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

:2thumbs: hi there folks,how do you runners all cope with running in this heat and humidity?i am really struggling with it at the moment!!!have tried lighter clothing, running earlier, drinking plenty etc, nothing is working, ie, i feel knackered in about 5 mins of running, and am hanging outta me arse!!!i am still doing the 5 miles but my time is terrible and i can hardley lift me legs ha ha!!, and my recovery time is terrible too, its like when i stop i am heating up even more, i thought i was having a bloody heart attack the other day.i dont want to stop running in the heat, and i dont like treadmills, any suggestions to make it a bit easier?i am saying all of this, it chance to be back to freezing next week!!!!jacdav xxx

#2 Bookhunter

Bookhunter

Purely Positive

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Running / walking, reading

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

I've not run outside much but maybe coolmax spray would help.

#3 princessjc

princessjc

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,629 posts
  • Interests:Love spending time with my son, goin walks, jogs playin my wii :) xx

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

A cant run the length of myself lol, a just do it on the treadmill xxx

#4 Ermintrude

Ermintrude

Purely Positive

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • Interests:lots of crafty things and being generally healthy and fit! Gotta stay at target somehow

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

hey jacdav! i went out on thursday in 30degrees! went in my sports bra and a pair of shorts could'tn bear the thought of putting an extra layer on even if it was just a vest top - not an attractive sight im sure but at least i was out there! i just make sure i take cold water with me, run in the shade as much as i can and not only take regular sips but splash water on my face too, make sure i get a cold shower as soon as i get home and recovery is fine! the runs are slower but that doesn't matter, the fact that you are out there doing it is grand! just take it easy - last thing you want to do is make yourself ill!i went out without water on saturday oops! had to stop past morrisons after about 40 mins and have a cold wash in the disabled loo! i was roasting - cant think what the staff thought when i emerged dripping wet!

#5 Your Hostess

Your Hostess

Positive Plus

• Administrators
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

We asked Julie from the Bod Squad and she had this to add:My first reaction is to listen to what your body is telling you and take up something cooling when the temperature heats up. I would suggest lap swimming. The water keeps the body temperature cool but if you are swimming the laps quickly enough you will get a great aerobic workout.However, our weather is very fickle indeed and now it would seem that the temperatures have dropped again so hopefully your running regime will be back to normal.My ultimate advice though is that you have to be aware of your body changes and don’t push it. Many things can effect your fitness…like climate, age, diet or even how much stress you face at work or at home at any given time. So if you want to work out effectively, please chose an option to enhance your energy not drain it. Also, I think a holiday is in order…it sound like you need one!Sounds like good advice!YH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users