18 replies to this topic

#1 rebelsue2

rebelsue2

Purely Positive

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

Hi guys I'm sure I've seen a recipe for no check meringue but I can seem to find it!? I need to make some for a party tomorrow can anyone help!? Xx

#2 rebelsue2

rebelsue2

Purely Positive

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

Found it haha was beginning to think I was imagining it!! Xx

#3 Skippy

Skippy

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,333 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

i never get mine to rise! :scared:

#4 GinFizz

GinFizz

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,544 posts
  • Interests:In my spare time I enjoy counting checks and eating delicious fat-free soups ;)

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

i never get mine to rise! :scared:

eh? :lipsmacking: meringues don't rise, they just dry out... are you whisking them till you can turn the bowl upside down skippy?

#5 shoe

shoe

Purely Positive

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

My meringues do rise/expand a bit if I make proper ones :lipsmacking: I've tried making the no check ones but they never turn out for me...I either burn them or undercook them :whistle:

Edited by shoe, 17 July 2010 - 01:47 PM.

#6 rebelsue2

rebelsue2

Purely Positive

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

Yeah shoe mine are a bit gooey!! I think maybe the key is to keep them small and flat!! They taste fine tho!! Xx

#7 kateyboo

kateyboo

Positive Plus

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Music, being with my friends, knitting, cooking, baking and cake decorating

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:03 PM

hey,Does anybody have the recipe?x

#8 shirls

shirls

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,715 posts
  • Interests:New start again, time to get serious xx

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

Always fancied making these, just never got round to it ( i'm too lazy :whistle: ) xx

#9 gemz.k

gemz.k

Positive Start

• Visitors
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

Here's the recipe from no check low check book:Baby Meringues1 egg white2 level tbsp heat-stable granualted sweetner (e.g Splenda)Pre-heat oven to 110 degrees C/gas mark 1/2Using an electric whisk on high speed, whisk egg white until fairly stiff. Add sweetner and continue to whisk at slow speed until standing in peaks.Spoon out 8 heaped tablespoons of the mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment. bake approximately 1 hour or until crisp and dry.Good luck!

#10 Flick

Flick

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts
  • Interests:Family, Football & Fitness

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

I know a few folk who have been able to make them and they are lush. :lipsmacking: Have to say each time I try to make them myself they are a diasaster though.Might try again now I have been reminded of them. :lipsmacking:

#11 shirls

shirls

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,715 posts
  • Interests:New start again, time to get serious xx

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

Do you have to use an electric whisk??? I don't have one :confused: x

#12 theweebarrell

theweebarrell

Purely Positive

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: might give them a go too , do you just put them on a baking tray to cook :2thumbs:

#13 GinFizz

GinFizz

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,544 posts
  • Interests:In my spare time I enjoy counting checks and eating delicious fat-free soups ;)

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

I have only ever made them with real sugar. I was taught by a home economics teacher in the 80s (before the curse of GCSEs and 'cooking' with ready made products...). You have to have a scrupulously clean bowl and whisk. We used to use vinegar to clean them and then rinse really well. Any traces of fat from previous cake baking or from stray egg yolk will stop the eggs from whisking to proper stiffness. Then you have to whisk the sugar and whites until they are so stiff you can turn the bowl upside down without them falling out. (We had to put the bowl upside down over our heads in school!!). We did them with rotary whisks back in the day. I think it would be hard with just a balloon whisk and an electric one is easiest. Best to put greaseproof paper on the trey. How they turn out is a matter of preference but I like them crispy on the outside and slightly chewy in the middle (not as hard as the supermarket ones and not as white but 100 times nicer :2thumbs: ).

Edited by GinFizz, 19 July 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#14 theweebarrell

theweebarrell

Purely Positive

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

:2thumbs: thanks for that Ginfizz :2thumbs:

#15 Skippy

Skippy

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,333 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:21 AM

that is where i am going wrong! i am balloon whisking!!!gonna try again! x

#16 northernstar

northernstar

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,820 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

I have only ever made them with real sugar. I was taught by a home economics teacher in the 80s (before the curse of GCSEs and 'cooking' with ready made products...). You have to have a scrupulously clean bowl and whisk. We used to use vinegar to clean them and then rinse really well. Any traces of fat from previous cake baking or from stray egg yolk will stop the eggs from whisking to proper stiffness. Then you have to whisk the sugar and whites until they are so stiff you can turn the bowl upside down without them falling out. (We had to put the bowl upside down over our heads in school!!). We did them with rotary whisks back in the day. I think it would be hard with just a balloon whisk and an electric one is easiest. Best to put greaseproof paper on the trey. How they turn out is a matter of preference but I like them crispy on the outside and slightly chewy in the middle (not as hard as the supermarket ones and not as white but 100 times nicer :2thumbs: ).

hahaha!!! That's the same way as I was taught at school Gin...same era!! A pyrex or glass bowl is best too and I agree the whisk and bowl have to be spotlessly clean!!I'm going to have a go at these as I've never tried making them :D

Edited by northernstar, 20 July 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#17 kateyboo

kateyboo

Positive Plus

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Music, being with my friends, knitting, cooking, baking and cake decorating

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Yum! thanks for the recipe. I love meringues when they are crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. I will try and make baby pavlovas (good ones of course :D )xx

Edited by kateyboo, 20 July 2010 - 03:36 PM.

#18 rebelsue2

rebelsue2

Purely Positive

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

I'm sure it's cos it's with sweetener and not sugar, made plenty meringues with real sugar and they turn out fine!? My no check ones are terrible and then I left them out overnight and they've gone all soggy!! Yuck! I'm glad I didn't take them to my party!! Haha Xx

#19 Marina

Marina

Positive Plus

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Mine are the same as yours shoe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users