#1 lynseyp86

lynseyp86

Fresh Start

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hey everybody!

Every year me and my dad sit down to watch the Superbowl. In the past we've had hotdogs and doughnuts, toffee popcorn and the like. This year both of us are watching our waistlines and I'm seeking some cool healthy snacks we can prepare to have instead. Preferably something American themed but not necessary.

Any ideas?

Hope you're all doing well!

Lynsey

#2 Kay_40904

Kay_40904

Positive Start

• Visitors
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Remember why you're doing this - there are more important things than cheese!

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hi Lynsey

Metcalfes do a skinny popcorn that you can buy on Amazon or direct from them and there are sweet flavours like toffee & chocolate.  I like popping my own popcorn and then I can omit any oil and put whatever I like on it -chilli flakes, garlic salt etc etc.

No sure what "skinny" version of hot dogs or donuts there are though! x

#3 Bookhunter

Bookhunter

Purely Positive

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts
  • Interests:Running / walking, reading

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

You could use low fat or walls skinless sausages for the hotdogs. Roasted butternut squash might make a good snack - if you use spray oil it's no-check.

#4 lynseyp86

lynseyp86

Fresh Start

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

I once tried Weightwatchers? I think? sausages. They were so offputting that I haven't tried other low-fat sausages. I just stay away altogether now which is a pity because there are a few recipes in the Thinner Dinners book that I fancy trying.

I do fancy chocolate popcorn. Chocolate is normally my downfall. I was half thinking about trying my hand at the banana choc chip muffins. Have you tried them before?

#5 TBird-Audrey

TBird-Audrey

Positively Perfect

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,927 posts
  • Location:Doon the bottom o the road, last cul-de-sac on the right

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

You could try Scottish Slimmers venison sausages :lipsmacking: They WERE on offer in Scottish Aldi (not sure if they still are though) and also in Asda :2thumbs:

#6 lynseyp86

lynseyp86

Fresh Start

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled for them. Sausage casserole is a household favourite here with thick Richmond sausages but they are frighteningly bad for diets

#7 Kay_40904

Kay_40904

Positive Start

• Visitors
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Remember why you're doing this - there are more important things than cheese!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

I bought a Phillips Air Fryer yesterday and there was a recipe in the book that made me think of you and your Superbowl snacks!

Mini Frankfurters wrapped in pastry

1 tin mini frankfurters (about 20/drained weight 220g) - suppose you could cut up big ones!

100g puff pastry

1tbsp smooth mustard + extra to serve

• Cut pastry into 5 x 1.5cm strips & spread with a thin layer of mustard.
  • Wrap a strip round each sausage.
  • Bake for 10 mins at 200oc

In the Air Fryer they come out at 45 calories so just under 2 checks.  Checked what it would be on the online checker and its the same at 2 checks or 1.5 checks if you used Quorn frankfurters.

Hope this helps x

#8 Bookhunter

Bookhunter

Purely Positive

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts
  • Interests:Running / walking, reading

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

I saw this on News Republic.

http://www.huffingto..._b_4674285.html

#9 lynseyp86

lynseyp86

Fresh Start

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

Oh wow guys that all looks amazing! Lots of food for thought, excuse the pun. I'm hitting the shops on Sunday so will be spending the next two days mulling it over. Just goes to show that crisps and dip isn't the only choice. I've spent years thinking incorrectly lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users