4 replies to this topic

#1 Carla

Carla

Positive Start

• Online Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

I've recently joined the local gym but I'm still very self conscious about exercising in front of others. I'm a size 22 and I also have quite bad psoriasis which is visible in certain areas. I'm comfortable with my arms and upper body in general but I hate my lower half being 'on show'. When I swim I wear a tankini top and mens swim shorts to cover the bulk of my bad bits, to be honest now I'm not embarrassed about swimming anymore.
But the gym and exercise classes fill me with dread. I'm happy with my t-shirts but have no idea what to do with my lower half. I feel too fat for leggings and also I'm 5'10 so even the longest show off my ankles, where my psoriasis is at its worst. I've tried various jogging bottoms but they all seem too short. I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.
What does everyone else wear that makes them feel comfortable?

Thanks

#2 Super Slimmer

Super Slimmer

Positive Plus

• Online Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, opera, reading, knitting

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

I am planning on wearing my loose long jogger trousers, nothing short or showing anything.

#3 Marina

Marina

Positive Plus

• eSupport Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

For me personally I can't manage in the gym with longer trousers, I end up feeling too hot and then give up

• Valerie_64696 likes this

#4 madhuskie

madhuskie

Fresh Start

• Online Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:10 AM

Hi there, I would go with the leggings if your psoriasis is the part you are most uncomfortable showing. You are going to the gym to get fit ,healthy and loose more weight so don't worry about what others are thinking. Just go in head held high and see their faces as you drop dress size after dress size. I don't like going to the gym either. I work offshore and am one of two females ( and an old one at that!) on the platform. I have to go to the gym as i need to do exercise when i am away for 3 weeks at a time. Walking in with all those young, body conscience guys pumping iron is very intimidating. you may be pleasantly surprised by the support you get from others once they see you are going to be a regular!!! go for it and don't worry about other people be there for you.

• Valerie_64696 likes this

#5 Valerie_64696

Valerie_64696

Positive Start

• Online Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Talking, music and people, dogs and family.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

:hug: What a brilliant post Madhuskie!  That was inspirational for me as well.  Good luck Marina.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users