A spicy curry that is both tasty and delicious with boiled rice.
- 150 g trimmed (lean steak)
- Spray oil
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 green chilli (de-seeded and sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp hot curry powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 fresh or tinned (chopped)
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- ¼ tsp salt
- 150 ml hot water
- 60 g basmati rice (dry weight)
- Cut steak into cubes. Spray a saucepan with oil and heat. Brown meat on all sides. Remove meat from pan.
- Add onion and green chilli to pan and cook until softened and starting to colour. Add a little water if necessary to prevent sticking. Add garlic, curry powder and cinnamon and stir-fry 1-2 minutes, until you can smell the aroma.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, cover and cook very gently 1 hour, or until meat is very tender and sauce has reduced. Stir now and again and add a little extra water if it starts to dry out.
Boil the rice with ½ tsp turmeric, a cardamom pod, 2 cloves and salt to taste
Serve the madras and rice together and enjoy!