Berry Gin Sorbet
Enjoy this delicious, refreshing sorbet after an evening meal.
- 125 g caster sugar
- 200 ml water
- 400 g raspberries or strawberries
- 6 tbsp gin
- 1 egg white (optional)
- Add the sugar and water to a saucepan, heat gently, stirring from time to time until the sugar has dissolved then boil rapidly for 1 minute.
- Take off the heat and set aside.
- Add the raspberries / strawberries to a food processor or liquidiser and puree until smooth.
- Press through a sieve into a bowl and discard the seeds.
- Stir the gin and sugar mixture into the berry puree.
- If you have an electric ice cream machine, pour in the raspberry mixture and churn for about 20 minutes until thick.
- Lightly fork the egg white together until frothy then beat into the sorbet and churn for 10 more minutes until thick enough to scoop.
- Without an electric ice cream machine, pour the mixture into a shallow cake tin with a fixed base and freeze for 4 hours until semi frozen.
- Beat with a fork or blitz in a food processor until smooth and gradually beat in the lightly whipped egg white.
- Transfer to a plastic container, cover with a lid and freeze for 3-4 hours or overnight until firm.