Carrot and Ginger Soup
Enjoy this creamy, low check soup through those cold winter months
- 600 g/1lb 50oz carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 medium onions (peeled and chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 1½ litres/ 2 (½) pints chicken or vegetable stock
- sea salt and black pepper
- Rind of 1 lemon (pared)
For the Lemon Herb Cream:
- 4 tbsp half-fat crème fraiche
- Rind of half a lemon (finely grated)
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp chopped chives
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onions and carrots, cook for several minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Do not brown the vegetables.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for a further minute.
- Add the stock and lemon strips to the pan, half cover the pan with its lid, and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Cool slightly then liquidise until smooth.
- Taste and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Reheat to serve.
To make the cream
Stir all of the ingredients together gently, or the crème fraiche will go runny, then spoon into the middle of each bowl of soup.
Optional: Garnish with chives or parsley.