- 1. In a large saucepan over a high heat combine the chickpeas water garlic cloves bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce the heat to low cover partially and simmer until the beans are very tender 50 to 60 minutes.
- 3. Drain and discard the bay leaf reserving the garlic and 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- 4. In a blender or food processor combine the chickpeas cooked garlic olive oil spring onion (leave approx 2tbsp) vinegar cilantro cumin and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Process to puree.
- 5. Add the reserved cooking liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture has the consistency of a thick spread.
- 6. In a small serving bowl stir together the chickpea mixture and the remaining 2 tablespoons of spring onion as a garnish.
- 7. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Great with warmed pitta bread crispbreads or crudités.