One way to increase your intake of vegetables is to incorporate it into your baking. Beetroot with help keep the cupcake moist.
- 3 medium eggs
- 150 g Granulated Sugar
- 200 g fresh beetroot (peeled and grated )
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 180 g plain flour (sifted)
- 180 g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (good-quality )
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 284 ml buttermilk
For the chocolate icing
- 100 g good-quality 70% chocolate (chopped)
- 2 tsp Quark
- A little skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, Gas Mark 4).
- Line two 12-hole muffin trays with paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar for 4 minutes until they are light and fluffy.
Beat in the grated beetroot and vanilla essence.
- Add the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt then beat until combined.
- Add the buttermilk.
- Beat again to ensure everything is well combined.
- Divide the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 20 minutes or until the cakes spring back when pressed gently with a finger.
- Remove from the cake tin immediately and leave to cool on a wire rack.
For the icing:
- Place the chocolate in a small bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water.
- Melt the chocolate gently.
- Remove from the heat and stir.
- Leave to cool.
- Add the quark and mix.
- Add enough skimmed milk to loosen the consistency to a spreadable icing. S
- pread the icing over the cupcakes and serve.