Afternoon tea is not complete without scones
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 50 g low-fat spread
- 25 g granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 medium egg
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 125 ml semi-skimmed milk (approx)
- 25 g sultanas
- 150 g fresh strawberries (hulled and roughly chopped)
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 220°C, fan oven 200°C, 400°F, and gas mark 6.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl, add cold low-fat spread, and rub in to make breadcrumb texture.
- Stir in sugar and salt.
- Beat the medium egg in a measuring jug, and add just enough milk to make up 150ml liquid.
- Add the egg mix to the dry ingredients a little at a time and mix with a knife. (You will not need all the egg mix, but keep to use as a glaze).
- When the mixture begins to come together, use your hands to collect the dough together – it should be soft but not sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured board, and pat out to depth of about 2 cm.
- Cut out rounds and put on baking tray, glaze with remaining egg mix and put into top of oven for between 12-15 minutes until risen and golden.
- Place strawberries in a small saucepan, sprinkle with Half Spoon and heat until the strawberries become soft.
- Cool the mixture and serve a spoonful with each scone.