- 1. Slice the courgettes into 1-2 cm slices chop the onions mushrooms peppers (not too small as you want the vegetables to stay in pieces rather than puree).
- 2. Cut the aubergines into approx 1 inch cubes and put with the courgettes into a colander sprinkle with salt and leave for about an hour in a sink to drain. Rinse well and dry.
- 3. Put all chopped vegetables in a big pot add in the stock and cover and bring to a simmer for approx 20 mins.
- 4. Uncover and cook for a further 20 minutes.To make into a Pasta bake (optional):
- 5. Cook 80g per person (dry weight) of wholewheat pasta and stir in the ratatouille.
- 6. Top with 45g of grated cheddar per person.
- 7. Put in the oven gas mark 6 for half an hour or until golden and bubbling and serve.This isn't a 'true' ratatouille as it has mushrooms in. It can be used as a basis to a pasta bake (as above) or just as an accompaniment to a meal.