Lamb & Aubergine Dhansak
There is a great variety of simple and quick dishes that can be made using lamb such as this delicious Dhansak
- 400 g Lean lamb mince
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- Spray oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2cm piece root ginger (chopped)
- 1 aubergine (cubed)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and sliced)
- 100 g red lentils
- 400 ml hot lamb stock
- 4 tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 cinnamon stick (broken in half)
- 250 g spinach
- Basmati rice and / or naan bread to serve (optional)
- Place the lamb in a bowl, sprinkle over the spaces and mix well (if you have time set aside for an hour)
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, ginger, aubergine and pepper for 5 minutes or so until golden.
- Add the spiced mince and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, stock, tomatoes and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 30 minutes until very tender.
- Add the spinach and cook for a minute or two until wilted.
- Serve with rice or naan.
SERVING SUGGESTION: For a lovely cooling raita to serve with this curry:
Coarsely grate 1/2 cucumber and place in a sieve.
Press with the back of a spoon to extract the excess juice.
Mix the cucumber with 100g fat free natural yogurt, 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint and crushed garlic clove.
Use your Bonus calcium allowance and count No Checks.