Spiced Pumpkin & Butter Bean Soup
Delicious healthy soup high in protein and fibre.
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 red chilli (de-seeded and chopped)
- spray oil
- 500 g/1lb 2oz pumpkin flesh (cut into cubes)
- 900 ml/1½ pints vegetable stock
- pinch each of ground nutmeg and cumin
- 1 x 400g/14oz can butter beans (drained)
- ground black pepper
- 6 tsp low-fat plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp parsley (chopped )
- Cook the onions, garlic and chilli in a large saucepan sprayed with oil.
- When the onions are translucent and softened, add the pumpkin and cook for about 3 minutes, turning it occasionally.
- Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook gently for 15 minutes until the pumpkin is cooked and tender.
- Liquidise in batches in a blender.
- Pour the smooth, golden soup into a clean pan and stir in the ground spices and butter beans.
- Season to taste.
- Serve the soup hot in bowls, topped with a swirl of yoghurt and sprinkled with parsley.
NOTE: If you count half Checks, one serving of this soup counts as 1½ Checks.