We all know that - much as we'd like one - there is no silver bullet or magic pill to weight loss. And there are endless comments and suggestions about what you're doing wrong, or what you should be doing right!
The simple answer to do it your way. That means planning, shopping and menus that fit your lifestyle and support your goal, so here is our guide to the Top 10 steps to success slimming.
Although you don't have to adopt all of them, they will help you get started and stay on track.
1. Make breakfast a necessity. Treat your body like you treat your car and, in the mornings, fill your tank with a healthy, fuel efficient breakfast.
2. Never shop on an empty stomach. It's a recipe for disaster. You’ll grab anything and everything because of your hunger - including sugary, high calorie food products you know aren’t good for you.
3. Successful slimmers never diet. The biggest secret to success is having a healthy eating plan that becomes a lifestyle, not a few weeks of pain and starvation to drop a few pounds.
4. Set realistic goals. It can be daunting if you have a lot to lose but focus on your first stone (7kg) or your first month and work from there. And remember to celebrate every milestone.
5. Reward yourself with something other than food. Don’t make food a reward for success, try something new. For example, a cinema date with your significant other or friend, a new piece of clothing when you reach a milestone or a trip to the spa.
6. Take responsibility for downfalls. Blaming external circumstances for your weight gain is to misunderstand your own body completely. You need to understand your triggers and take control.
7. Know that slipping up is inevitable. The way you day with slip ups is a choice. Choose to get straight back on track rather than waste a day or weekend slumping over a slip up.
8. Keep motivation in mind. Motivation can be drained by something as little as a drizzle of rain. Keep reminding yourself why you are losing weight, keep it written down and with you at all times.
9. Don’t try to change everything at once. Small changes will make all of the difference.
10. Slow and steady loses the weight, and keeps it off. Understand that long term weight loss takes time, racing to the finish line can scupper your chances of sustainable success.