- 1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/ fan170°C/ Gas 5.
- 2. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples into a large pan, with 20g melter butter. Add 20g sugar, plus the ground almonds, 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg and orange zest.
- 3. Cook gently over a very low heat until the apples are turning soft.
- 4. Unroll the pastry and cover with a damp cloth to stop it from drying out. Taking one sheet at a time brush each sheet of filo pastry with butter, then place the sheets of pastry on top of each other onto a large sheet of greaseproof paper.
- 5. Arrange the apples in a narrow strip, lengthways down the centre of the pastry. Leave 3cm clear of shorter edges. Fold the shorter edges over the filling, then fold over one long edge, taking care that the fruit is firmly underneath the pastry.
- 6. Brush with butter and fold over the second long edge (it should overlap by 5-6cm). Carefully transfer the strudel to a large non-stick baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter.
- 7. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- 8. Leave the strudel to cool for 15-20 mins. Mix 1 tsp cinnamon and remaing sugar, then dust before slicing.
- Serve with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt, creme fraiche or single cream (adding 2 Checks).