Bourbon glazed steak kebabs
Flavour-packed whisky steak kebabs with only 9 Checks making a healthy, light dinner.
- 300 g/10oz really lean piece rump steak (all fat removed)
- 2 small red onions (peeled and quartered)
- 6 button mushrooms
- 1 small green pepper (deseeded and cut into chunks)
For the bourbon marinade
- 2 tbsp Bourbon whisky
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp runny honey
- squeeze lemon juice
- few drops Worcestershire sauce
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Cut the steak into bite-sized cubes and toss in the marinade.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours, or overnight if wished.
- Thread the marinated steak, red onions, button mushrooms and green pepper on to 4 kebab skewers.
- If using wooden ones, soak them first in cold water.
- Cook the kebabs over hot coals on a barbecue, turning them frequently and brushing with marinade. They will need 5-10 minutes, depending on how well done you like your steak.
- Serve hot with a crisp mixed salad and some boiled rice flavoured with chopped herbs (100 cals, 4 Checks, 0.5 g fat for each 30 g/1 oz dry weight or 75 g/2½ oz cooked weight).