Bubble & Squeak Burgers
These tasty, meat-free burgers are a delicious way of using up left-over potatoes and vegetables, making them a great option for a quick mid-week evening meal when you want something easy for supper!
- 250 g/9 oz potatoes (boiled )
- 1 tbsp skimmed milk
- 150 g/5 oz green cabbage (finely shredded and cooked)
- 2 spring onions (thinly sliced)
- spray oil
- 60 g/2 oz mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 heaped tsp plain flour
- freshly ground black pepper
- Mash the boiled potatoes with the skimmed milk and beat in the cabbage and spring onions.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- You can put all the vegetables in a food processor, if preferred, and process for about 1 minute, until well mixed.
- Spray a pan lightly with oil and place over a medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Divide the potato mixture into 4 equal-sized portions.
- Take one portion and divide in half, making a hollow in one half.
- Put a spoonful of the mushrooms in the centre and cover with the remaining potato mixture, moulding it around the filling and shaping into a burger.
- Repeat with the other portions to make 4 burgers.
- Dust the burgers with a little flour and cook in a hot frying pan lightly sprayed with oil for 3-4 minutes each side, until crisp and golden.
- Serve the burgers immediately with vegetables or a crisp salad.
Tip: These burgers taste delicious topped with a poached medium egg (Add 3 Checks, 6g fat, 80 calories).