Chicken with chorizo, chickpeas and kale
A new way to add some extra protein into your meals.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs or other pieces (with skin and bone)
- 2 cooking chorizo sausages (sliced into rounds (125g))
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 x 400g cans of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 x 400g can of tomatoes
- 200 ml chicken stock
- large sprig thyme
- small bunch kale (thickly shredded)
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180C Fan / Gas Mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish.
- Add the chicken thighs or pieces and brown them thoroughly on both sides.
- Make sure the skin in particular is crisp and brown.
- Remove the chicken from the dish and set it aside, then pour off the excess fat released by the chicken.
- Add the slices of chorizo to the casserole dish and brown them for a couple of minutes on each side.
Remove them from the pan and again drain off any excess fat.
- Add the onion to the casserole and fry gently for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chickpeas (as much of them as you want) and tomatoes and stir well to combine.
- Tuck in the sprig of thyme, pour over the chicken stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Pile the kale on top of the chickpeas, then arrange the chicken and chorizo on top.
- Season again.
- Put the lid on the casserole dish and place the dish in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Then remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.