Our festive favourite pudding
- 175 g breadcrumbs
- 225 g raisins
- 100 g each of sultanas, currants and mixed peel
- 60 g soft dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp each of cinnamon, mixed spice and ground nutmeg
- 85 g each of grated apple and finely grated carrot
- 1 lemon (Grated rind of)
- 2 egg whites (lightly beaten)
- 1 orange (Juice of )
- 1 small wineglass port or brown ale
- 1 tbsp treacle
- Mix together breadcrumbs, dried fruit, sugar and spices.
- Add apple, carrot and lemon rind.
- Stir well.
- Add egg whites, orange juice, port or brown ale and treacle.
- Stir thoroughly ensuring all ingredients are evenly dispersed– and don’t forget to make a wish!
- Turn mixture into a 1 ¼ litre / 2-pint pudding basin, cover tightly and steam for 4 ½ hours.
- Divide mixture between 10 individual cups or ramekins.
- Cover and steam 2-4 together for about 45 – 60 minutes.
Or, microwave individual portions on high approx. 1-2 minutes.