- Wipe a large saucepan lightly with oil and place over a medium heat.
- Add the bacon cubes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and leek and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Pour in the stock and add the tomatoes, beans and herbs.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, until it is cooked and tender.
Check the seasoning and serve immediately, discarding the herbs.