Chunky Vegetable Soup
Warm yourself up this Winter with this tasty, hearty soup!
- Spray oil
- 100 g lean bacon cubes (fat removed)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 sticks celery (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 1 leek (chopped)
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 400 g can butter beans (drained)
- 1 bay leaf
- Few sprigs sage and thyme
- ½ green cabbage (shredded)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Spray a large saucepan lightly with oil and place over a medium heat.
- Add the bacon cubes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and leek and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Pour in the stock and add the tomatoes, beans and herbs.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, until it is cooked and tender.
Check the seasoning and serve immediately, discarding the herbs.