Couscous Stuffed Peppers
These peppers can be eaten hot or cold making a delicous, quick vegetarian meal.
- 85 g/3 oz couscous
- 85 ml/3 fl oz hot water
- 2 large red or yellow peppers
- spray oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 50 g/2 oz chestnut mushrooms (chopped)
- 4 spring onions (finely sliced)
- 2 tbsp parsley (chopped )
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp tzatziki
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, Gas Mark 6.
- Put the couscous in a jug and cover with the hot water.
- Stir and set aside for 10-15 minutes, until the grains have absorbed the water.
- Squeeze out any excess.
Meanwhile, cut the peppers in half length-ways and remove the seeds and ribs.
- Spray a frying pan lightly with oil and add the pepper halves.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until softened, turning them over halfway through.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms and spring onions to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the couscous and parsley and season to taste.
- Place the peppers in an ovenproof dish and fill with the couscous mixture.
- Cover with foil and cook in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with tzatziki.