- Place the sardines in a shallow dish with the garlic, chilli and lemon juice.
- Season with some salt and pepper and coat the sardines with the chilli mixture.
- Cover with clingfilm and chill in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the salad leaves, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, redcurrants and feta cheese in a bowl.
Blend the redcurrant jelly with the dressing.
- Lift the sardines out of the chilli marinade and cook under a preheated hot grill or over hot coals on a barbecue for about 3-4 minutes each side, until cooked through with opaque flesh and crisp skin.
- Toss the prepared redcurrant salad in the dressing and serve immediately with the hot sardines.
You can cook other oily fish, such as mackerel or herring, in the same way. Just marinate and chill as outlined above and then cook under a grill, ridged grill pan or on a barbecue.
Remember that larger fish will take longer to cook – they are ready to eat when the flesh is opaque and flakes easily.