Hot Cross Buns
You can't beat indulging in a scrumptious, hot cross bun at Easter
- 400 g strong white bread flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50 g low fat butter
- 40 g dried fruit
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 200 ml warm water
- 1 tsp caster sugar
For the cross
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 5-6 tbsp cold water
For the glaze
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Place the flour, spice, spread and fruit into a large bowl.
- Rub the mixture together between your fingers until the ingredients are fully combined, making a well in the centre.
- Dissolve the yeast in 150ml of the warm water, adding the sugar, and pour into the centre of the flour. Gradually add the remaining warm water, mixing the ingredients to a soft dough. You may not need all the water.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes then cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough again and divide into 4 pieces using a knife.
- Divide each quarter into 4 and roll into small balls.
- Place on a baking tray and leave to prove for 20 minutes until double in size.
- Mix together the cross mixture to a smooth batter and place in a piping bag.
- Pipe a cross on the top of each bun and bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Glaze while warm