Manhattan Fish Chowder
Chunky, wholesome, filling and tasty, this soup is a meal in itself.
- 1 red pepper (de-seeded and chopped)
- 250 g potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 600 ml/1 pint fish or vegetable stock
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 g skinned fillet cod or haddock (cubed)
- black pepper
- spray oil
- 1 dash Tabasco
- few sprigs thyme or chopped flat leaf parsley (to garnish)
Spray a large saucepan with oil and cook the onion, red pepper and bacon over medium heat until the vegetables are softened and the bacon lightly browned.
Add the potatoes and continue cooking 2-3 minutes stirring gently.
Add the stock, tomatoes and herbs and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes then add the cod or haddock. Cook gently for a further 10-15 minutes.
Season to taste with salt, pepper and Tabasco and serve garnished with small sprigs of thyme or flat leaf parsley.