Mince and Oaty Dumplings
Satisfy your senses with these hearty warmers
- spray oil
- 400 g lean steak mince
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 sticks celery (chopped)
- 4 carrots (cut into matchsticks strips)
- 600 ml hot beef stock (made with 1 beef stock cube)
- few shakes Worcestershire sauce
- few sprigs sage and thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 60 g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 30 g oatmeal
- 2 tbsp low-fat spread
- 2 tbsp parsley, sage and thyme (chopped )
- cold water
- Spray a large pan with oil and place over low heat, add mince.
- Stir 3 minutes, until mince is browned all over.
- Add onion, garlic, celery and carrots, and cook gently until tender.
- Stir in stock, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and seasoning, and bring to the boil.
- Cover, lower heat and simmer gently 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Mix the cornflour with a little cold water and add to mince.
- Cook further 5-10minutes.
- Mix together flour and oatmeal in a large bowl, and using fingertips lightly rub in low-fat spread.
- Stir in chopped herbs and enough cold water to mix to soft dough.
- Shape into 4 dumplings and add to the mince.
- Cook 20 minutes.
- Remove the herbs, season to taste and serve hot with steamed green vegetables.