Mini Lemon Surprise Puddings
Everyone will get a lovely surprise when they push their spoons into these little sponge puddings and discover a tart lemony sauce underneath. They work equally well with oranges or limes or a mixture of citrus fruits.
- 30g/1 oz butter (softened)
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs (separated)
- 2 lemons (grated (zest and juice of))
- 45g/1½ oz self-raising flour
- 300ml/½ pint skimmed milk
- icing sugar ( for dusting)
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy. You can do this with a wooden spoon, an electric whisk or in a food mixer.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, until well mixed, and then beat in the lemon zest and juice. Do not worry if the mixture curdles and separates, it does not matter.
- Beat in the flour and then the milk to make a batter. It will be quite thin.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they stand in stiff peaks and then fold carefully into the lemony batter with a metal spoon. Use a figure-of-eight movement and incorporate the egg white evenly.
- Pour the batter into 4 lightly greased individual ovenproof dishes and stand them in a shallow baking dish.
- Pour in some hot water to come halfway up the sides of the individual dishes.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C/gas mark 4 for about 20 minutes until the puddings are risen, set and golden brown on top.
- Remove the puddings from the oven and dust lightly with icing sugar.
- Serve immediately.