Pumpkin Soup with Tortilla Chips
Make the most of pumpkin when it is in season with some tasty Scottish Slimmers dishes
- Spray oil
- 2 onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- Good pinch caster sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 675 g pumpkin or butternut squash (peeled, deseeded and cubed)
- 600 ml hot vegetable stock
- 60 ml low-fat creme fraiche
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 45 g plain tortilla chips (rougly crushed)
- 60 g low-fat cheddar cheese (grated )
- Spray a large saucepan lightly with oil and cook the onions, garlic and sugar gently over a low heat for about 15 minutes, until tender and starting to caramelize.
- Stir in the smoked paprika.
- Add the pumpkin and vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover the pan and cook gently for 20 minutes, until the pumpkin is cooked and tender.
- Blitz the soup in a blender or puree in saucepan using a hand-held belnder until smooth.
- Stir in the creme fraiche and season with black pepper.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls and serve immediately, sprinkle with tortilla chips and grated cheese.