Sausages with tasty bubble and squeak mash
This healthy, balanced meal is the perfect family - and budget - friendly meal.
- 8 low-fat sausages
- 2 red onions (finely sliced)
- spray oil
- 1 beef stock cube
- 300ml boiling water
- 1 tsp cranberry sauce or redcurrant jelly
For the bubble and squeak mash:
- 450g potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- spray oil
- 175g cooked left-over vegetables (e.g. shredded cabbage, chopped sprouts)
- 85ml skimmed milk
- Cook the sausages under a preheated hot grill, turning them frequently, until they are cooked through and appetizingly brown all over. Keep warm.
- While the sausages are cooking, boil the potatoes in a large pan of lightly salted water until tender.
- Drain and return the potatoes to the warm pan.
- At the same time, cook the onion and garlic slowly in a pan that has been sprayed lightly with oil until they are really tender.
- Stir in the leftover vegetables.
- Mash the potatoes with the milk and beat with a fork until smooth.
- Add the cooked vegetable mixture and plenty of black pepper. Keep warm.
- For the gravy, cook the red onions gently in a pan sprayed with oil until softened.
- Crumble in the stock cube and stir well, then add the boiling water and cranberry sauce.
- Let it bubble away until it reduces and thickens.
Serve the mash with sausages and drizzle the gravy on top.