Chocolate Cake Chocolate cake and a weight loss? You can with Scottish Slimmers!
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 150 ml/¼ pint hot water
- 5 large eggs (separated)
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease a 25cm/10 inch loose-bottomed cake tin and line with baking parchment.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Break up chocolate and place in a saucepan together with the hot water.
Heat gently, stirring frequently, until chocolate has melted and is smooth.Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites in a very large bowl until stiff.
- Gradually whisk in sugar until stiff and glossy.
- Stir the egg yolks, then stir them into the melted chocolate together with the vanilla extract.
- Beat chocolate mixture into flour until well combined.
Slacken mixture with 3-4 tbsp of the egg whites, then fold chocolate mixture into the egg whites until well combined.
- Pour into prepared tin and level surface.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
- Allow to cool in tin and then turn out.
- Best made a day in advance and covered tightly.
- Before serving sift icing sugar over the top and decorate with holly if you're making it for the festive period!