Squidgy Chocolate Cake
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- 2. Lightly grease a 25cm/10 inch loose-bottomed cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- 3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- 4. Break up chocolate and place in a saucepan together with the hot water.
- 5. Heat gently, stirring frequently, until chocolate has melted and is smooth. Set aside.
- 6. Whisk egg whites in a very large bowl until stiff.
- 7. Gradually whisk in sugar until stiff and glossy.
- 8. Stir the egg yolks, then stir them into the melted chocolate together with the vanilla extract.
- 9. Beat chocolate mixture into flour until well combined.
- 10. Slacken mixture with 3-4 tbsp of the egg whites, then fold chocolate mixture into the egg whites until well combined.
- 11. Pour into prepared tin and level surface.
- 12. Bake 45-50 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
- 13. Allow to cool in tin and then turn out.
- 14. Best made a day in advance and covered tightly.
- 15. Before serving sift icing sugar over the top and decorate with holly if you're making it for the festive period!