Thai Crab Cakes
Light take on traditional fish cakes. Perfect low calorie lunch and dinner meal.
- 300 g/10oz fresh crab meat
- 1 red chilli (de-seeded and chopped)
- 3 spring onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- Large handful fresh coriander
- 2 tsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tbsp low-calorie mayonnaise
- Flour ( for dusting)
- Spray oil
For the Dipping sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 rounded tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 small red chilli (chopped)
- ½ lime ( juice only)
- Put the crab meat, chilli, spring onions, garlic, coriander, Thai fish sauce and mayonnaise in a blender or food processor and blitz until you have a thick sludge.
- Divide the mixture into 8 portions and shape with your hands into little patties.
- Dust very lightly with flour.
- Spray a frying pan lightly with spray oil and place over a medium to high heat.
- When the pan is really hot, add the crab cakes and cook them for about 2-3 minutes each side, until golden brown.
- Be careful when you turn them over – make sure you use a spatula and do it very gently so as to keep their shape.
For the dipping sauce (can be made in advance if required):
- Just heat the rice vinegar and sugar in a small pan, stirring until dissolved.
- When it becomes syrupy, add the soy sauce, chilli and lime juice. Leave to cool.
- Serve the crab cakes hot from the pan with the dipping sauce.