Venison Steaks with Red Wine & Cranberries
Venison Steaks with Red Wine & Cranberries Venison is one of the healthiest meats around and is now readily available and affordable. Treat yourself to this easy dish with real depth of flavours...
- 2 x 150 g venison steaks
- ½ tsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- 3 tbsp red wine
- 100 ml/3½ fl oz beef stock
- 15 g dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 level tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp water
- Rub the venison steaks with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan and sear the steaks over high heat 2-3 minutes, turning now and again.
- Turn heat down to medium and cook one side 3 minutes. Turn over and cook for a further 3 minutes for rare.
- Cook 2-3 minutes more for medium-rare.
- Put steaks onto a plate, cover with foil and leave to rest 10 minutes to allow juices to redistribute.
- Put the wine, beef stock and cranberries into a small saucepan and boil rapidly until reduced by one-third.
- Mix the cornflour with the water and add to the sauce stirring continuously until sauce thickens slightly.
- Serve the venison with the sauce spooned over.