Bangers and Apple Mash
Try this fruity twist on the classic comfort food, bangers and mash.
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 2 tsp grain mustard
- 4 Scottish Slimmers chicken sausages
- 2 dessert apples (cored and scored around the middle)
- 2 large onions (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Spray oil
- 300 g potatoes (peeled )
- 60 ml skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp low-fat creme fraiche
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Mix the honey and mustard and use this to coat the sausages.
- Place them in a roasting pan with the apples, and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Cook the onions and the cumin seeds in a pan sprayed with oil over a low heat until they are softened and golden
- At the same time, boil the potatoes in salted water until cooked.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Add the skimmed milk and mash or beat with an electric whisk until smooth.
- Mix in the creme fraiche, remaining mustard and seasoning.
- Scoop out the flesh from the baked apples and mix with the onions.
- Serve the sausages with the potato topped with the apple and onion mixture.
No-Check cabbage and broccoli go well with this finished dish.