Delicious macaroons perfect for an afternoon treat
For the macaroons:
- 120 g Egg whites (approx. 4 eggs)
- 170 g Icing sugar
- 160 g Almonds (ground)
- 80 g granulated sugar
- a few drops Pink food colouring
For the filling:
- 6 tbsp Raspberry jam
- Separate the whites from the yolks.
- Measure the egg whites accurately, placing 60g in one bowl and 60g in another mixing bowl.
- Place icing sugar and ground almonds in the mixing bowl and add one lot of egg whites and the pink food colouring.
- Mix until it forms a paste.
- Place the Half Spoon sugar into a small pan and add 50ml cold water.
- Heat gently then boil for 5 minutes to create a syrup.
- Then start whisking the remaining egg whites to firm peaks.
- Remove the syrup from the heat.
- Trickle the hot syrup into the egg whites while you mix, until it is all incorporated and you have a smooth, shiny meringue.
- Add the meringue mixture into the bowl of almond mixture.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold the two together until smooth and lace the mixture into a pipping bag.
- Pipe small macaroons.
- Allow the macaroon to rest on the work surface for 30 minutes.
- Bake them for 14 minutes.
- If the macaroons begin to brown, cover them with a sheet of baking parchment after 10 minutes.
- Leave them to cool.
- Sandwich the macaroons together with a little jam.