For a Christmas treat without any guilt, try Scottish Slimmers' fabulous low-fat Christmas pudding
- 175 g breadcrumbs
- 225 g aisins
- 115 g each of sultanas, currants and mixed peel
- 60 g soft dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon, mixed spice and ground nutmeg
- 85 g each of grated apple and finely grated carrot
- 1 lemon rind (grated)
- 2 egg whites (lightly beaten)
- 1 (juice of) orange
- 1 small wineglass port or brown ale
- 1 tbsp treacle
- Mix together breadcrumbs, dried fruit, sugar and spices.
- Add apple, carrot and lemon rind. Stir well.
- Add egg whites, orange juice, port or brown ale and treacle.
- Stir thoroughly ensuring all ingredients are evenly distributed - and don’t forget to make a wish!
- Turn mixture into a 1¼ litre/2 pint pudding basin, cover tightly and steam for 4½ hours.
- Alternatively, divide mixture between 10 individual cups or ramekins, cover and steam 2-4 together about 45-60 minutes.
- Or, microwave individual portions on high approx. 1-2 minutes.