- 1. Mix together breadcrumbs, dried fruit, sugar and spices.
- 2. Add apple, carrot and lemon rind. Stir well.
- 3. Add egg whites, orange juice, port or brown ale and treacle.
- 4. Stir thoroughly ensuring all ingredients are evenly distributed - and don’t forget to make a wish!
- 5. Turn mixture into a 1¼ litre/2 pint pudding basin, cover tightly and steam for 4½ hours.
- 6. Alternatively, divide mixture between 10 individual cups or ramekins, cover and steam 2-4 together about 45-60 minutes.
- 7. Or, microwave individual portions on high approx. 1-2 minutes.